Let your imagination run wild with the art and craft ideas on this page. You could use these creative projects to drum up support for your Lunch, to decorate your venue, or even as entertainment on the day. You never know, an artistic collaboration could lead to a long-lasting friendship with your neighbours.
Find specific ideas on how to dress your Lunch venue on our Decoration page.
Photo and video projects
- Take a portrait of every invitee at home with a mug of tea.
- Find archive images to piece together a history of your neighbourhood.
- Film a street biopic starring your neighbours and show the film the night before your Lunch.
Sculpture and 3D modelling projects
- Show your neighbourhood that you’re attending the Big Lunch by making and displaying a big ‘open’ sign at your house/flat.
- Cast the names, hands or bellybuttons of your neighbours and lay them along the pavement (like Hollywood Boulevard).
- For a modern-day ‘penny for the Guy’, build a figure out of waste electrical goods. The Eden Project has got a big one called WEEE Man (made of Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment).
Painting and drawing projects
- Write and draw invitations on people’s doorsteps with chalk.
- Paint a mural on an unloved wall – get the local kids involved!
- Design and make a flag to represent your neighbourhood. Hoist it at your Lunch and salute!
Big Lunch gallery
See great photos of Big Lunches across the UK and beyond.
See the gallery
Big Lunch Extras
Take your community to the next level with Big Lunch Extras.
Find out more