5 Steps to organise a Big Lunch
Whether your lunch is planned months in advance or a last minute get together we have some handy hints to help you get going.
You can organise a Big Lunch in five simple steps:
- Choose a venue: Your Big Lunch can take place anywhere; in the road, back garden, park, school or community centre. If you want to close the road, it’s best to make enquiries as soon as possible. Some councils can be lenient on road closure notices, you just need to phone them and check. If you can’t close your road, there are plenty of other options, just make sure you get the relevant permission
- Invite people: Find out who wants to come by handing out invites, leaflets and putting up posters - perhaps your neighbours will help you? If you don’t have time for this, Facebook and Twitter are quick, easy and cheap ways of inviting people. Top tip: try to get people to RSVP so you know how many people are coming and how much food and drink there needs to be. This will reduce waste.
- Bring food: Ask people to bring their own dishes so that people can share food and keep cost and waste down. Perhaps ask the even house numbers to bring sweets and the odd house numbers to bring savouries. Top tip: try and set a time for lunch, this will be useful in kick-starting the party!
- Decoration: Don’t be afraid to ask people to bring props such as chairs and tables – get creative by sitting on coolers and using ironing boards as tables. You can decorate on the day with things like balloons and flowers, even chalk for the children to decorate the pavement. Get more ideas for decorations here.
- On the day – top tips:
- Try to make sure that your entertainment, games and activities are suitable for all ages.
- There are tons of ideas on the website.If you have music, make sure it’s varied, not too loud and doesn’t go on too late!
- Set a time for lunch – it really helps to get the party started
- Take photos and most importantly, have fun!
Getting involved in the planning was as much fun as the big day. It was a great way to get to know each other.
If you need some last minute tips or have any questions please email email@example.com or call 0845 850 81 81 to speak to one of the team.
We always love to hear what’s happening at Big Lunches taking place across the UK so please tell us about your event at firstname.lastname@example.org
Big Lunch gallery
See great photos of Big Lunches across the UK and beyond.
See the gallery
Stay in touch
Get our newsletter, full of ideas, freebies and competitions.
Big Lunch Extras
Take your community to the next level with Big Lunch Extras.
Find out more